top of page
  • kim13959

5 Signs You May Have An Electrical Problem At Home

When it comes to the technical aspects of a home, safety should always be the top priority. That’s why it’s important to ensure that everything is good in terms of your electrical system. Electrical problems can escalate into bigger problems, such as a house fire. So, it’s best to pay attention to the beginning signs of an electrical issue to address it as soon as possible.

1. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights aren’t just a horror movie trope. They can also happen in real life. And when they do, it’s not an indication that a serial killer is on the way to get you, but rather that you may be dealing with an electrical problem.

When the lights flicker, it may be a sign that a light bulb is loose or defective. So, the first thing you should do is replace it. If the flickering persists, the issue may lie in the light fixture or its connections. It may also be that the electrical wiring in your circuit breaker is loose. In such cases, it’s best to get a professional diagnosis from an electrician.

2. Electrical Shocks

Experiencing static shocks at times can be expected, especially when you have carpeted floors. However, when you get the shock after touching an appliance, there may be a bigger issue at hand. The cause of the shock may be due to a ground fault from the appliance or faulty electrical wiring. If you notice frequent electrical shocks coming from your outlets, it’s best to hire electrical services to fix the issue.

3. Burning Odour

Suddenly smelling a burning odour is never a good sign. If the burning comes from your outlets or switches, there may be a wiring or overload problem. To prevent an electrical fire from starting, it’s best to immediately turn off the electrical panel's power and call a professional.

4. Sparks

It can be scary when you see sparks as you plug in your appliance. This is normal to some degree. However, when the sparks happen too frequently, it may be a sign of a bigger problem. If you hear a popping sound along with the sparks, it may indicate a loose wire. Don’t attempt to fix it on your own, as it can be pretty challenging to locate a loose wire in a circuit. Plus, it’s not safe. Instead, you should contact a professional for electrical repairs.

5. Malfunctioning Switches or Outlets

Another sign of a home electrical problem is when you find your light switches and outlets not working as they should. This could either mean a loose wire or an internal crack in the device.

You may also notice the plugs in an outlet becoming loose. This could be a big problem as someone could get shocked when the plug falls out while unplugging. If you notice anything wrong with your outlets or light switches, it’s best to consult an electrician to determine the necessary solution.

Final Thoughts

Safety is always important, especially in your own home. Take note of the different signs of a home electrical problem so that you can address it immediately. And for your own safety, it’s best not to attempt any DIY troubleshooting. Instead, find a trusty electrical contractor to help you with your electrical problems.

Ensure your family's safety with the help of DHT Electrical Inc. We are an electrical contractor in London, Ontario, that offers residential and commercial electrical services. At DHT Electrical, we believe feeling safe and being comfortable in your house is truly what turns it into a home. Contact us today to get started!

19 views0 comments
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page